Friday, October 14, 2011

Apple Crisp



Apple picking season has quickly arrived. I really enjoy introducing people to this annual activity. A favorite local spot is Honey Pot Orchards in Stowe, MA. People will wait in line for up to one hour to eat the freshly made apple cider doughnuts! I remember one year when I brought a friend who had never been. After 30 minutes of waiting in line he grew increasingly impatient. We almost knew everyone around us as you have no choice but to share in each other's pain waiting in line while smelling the waft of delicious doughnuts being made. It can be agonizing. My friend waited it out and after one bite of a warm cider doughnut, the look of satisfaction was priceless.  This year I went with a few friends who are apple picking veterans. Cooking immediately afterwards with the group made it all the more fun! We mostly picked macoun and macintosh varieties which were perfect for baking. I found this Ooey Gooey Apple Crisp recipe by Yeah, That "Vegan" Shit and thought I would try it outI am really picky when it comes to apple crisp. My mother's recipe has been my favorite for years. She does not include oats or allspice. I decided to omit the same ingredients for this recipe and add cardamom (of course!). Everyone ate it up and I was left craving more. I decided to make another smaller version at home the next day (let the holiday gluttony begin) and it was just as delicious. A foolproof apple crisp, indeed!  I am shocked to say that it rivals my mother's recipe. This may also be the first time that I used up all of the apples picked in under a weeks time after going apple picking.  The cookie-like topping and caramel apple middle in this crisp are undeniably addictive!  

Waiting in line for apple cider doughnuts




Ingredients

5-6 apples, sliced in 1/4 inch slices
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon cardamom
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (I always use freshly ground)
1/2 cup brown sugar + 1/2 cup water

Topping:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/6 cup canola oil
1.5 tablespoon soy milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt


Directions:

Preheat oven to 375. Mix together cornstarch, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, brown sugar and water. Place apples in a bread loaf pan and drizzle the mixture over the apples. Mix together all of the ingredients for the topping in a separate bowl. Apply to top of apple mixture. It will be moist. The original recipe calls for 1/2 Cup of flour, but I added another 1/2 Cup and it was still moist like a cookie dough. Cover with tin foil and bake for 10 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 20-30 minutes. A nice dollop of your favorite ice cream would make this sinful. 





Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Nomsense is on Facebook!