Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Cherry Chip Coconut Milk Ice Cream


Coconut milk has become one of my favorite ingredients for making desserts. It froths well for coffee, makes a delicious whipped topping, and is perfect for making ice cream! I recently tried a cherry amaretto flavored ice cream at the new, all non-dairy ice cream shop, FoMu located in Allston, MA. I liked it so much that I decided to recreate the flavor at home so that I can eat it anytime. After a little tweaking, I think I have succeeded in making the flavor with the added addition of semi-sweet chocolate chips! The preparation is very easy. Have fun and create your own version or check out FoMu! I have now keep this ice cream in my freezer all the time lately since cherries are in season! I plan to make ice cream sandwiches using this ice cream with chocolate cookies.


Ingredients

2 14oz cans coconut milk (I used Trader Joe's Light Coconut Milk)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 vanilla bean
1/2 cup blue agave sweetener 
1/2 cup fresh cherries, pitted and chopped
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips


Combine coconut milk, agave, contents of vanilla bean, and extracts in a medium bowl. Cover and put in freezer for 1hr.  Add to ice cream maker. When mixture becomes thick, add cherries and chocolate chips. Remove and store in air-tight containers.








Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nomsense is on Facebook!